Information from A to Z
- Admission to all sport competitions, the Special Olympics Town and Festival, and award ceremonies is FREE.
- There will be a limited amount of tickets available for the Opening Ceremony on 18th March 2017 (begins at 7:00 pm at Planai Stadion Schladming) and Closing Ceremony on 24th March 2017 (begins at 7:00 pm in Graz Stadium). (Ticket sale: www.oeticket.com).
- World Dance Contest on 22nd March 2017 (begins at 6.30 pm at Orpheum Graz). Free entrance - tickets are available: firstname.lastname@example.org (please announce first name and surname of all spectators).
Many distinguished people from the fields of sport, culture and public life have kindly agreed to support the World
Winter Games. MORE INFORMATION
You will find all Information about Car Rental - HERE
Country (general information)
- Austria ... is a Central European country with around 8.7 million inhabitants and one total area of approximately 83,879 km². Austria consists of nine federal states, the federal capital is Vienna. The highest
mountain of Austria is called Großglockner (2.798 m), the largest lake is the Neusiedlersee in Burgenland.
- Steiermark (Styria) ... is the second largest province of Austria and has a population of about 1.23 Million. The capital is Graz. Schladming and Ramsau am Dachstein are in the northwest of Styria. Styria is also nicknamed “The Green Heart of Austria”.
- Graz ... … is the capital city of Styria. It has a population of about 280,000 and is the second largest city in the Republic of Austria. Situated on the River Mur in the Graz basin, the city was designated European Capital of Culture in 2003. Graz has a lot to offer: besides its historic old town, there are many sightseeing attractions and tourist highlights to visit. For more information please go to: www.graztourismus.at
- Schladming ... is a town municipality and the second largest of the Liezen District. Schladming is also a major winter sports location in Styria and has often hosted international events. It has a remarkable old town with an old town gate built of stone. Schladming has an international reputation as a heart-warming location with plenty of attractions in summer and winter. For more information please go to: www.schladming.at
- Ramsau ... is located at the foot of Styria’s highest mountain - the Dachstein - and is a perfect place for boosting body and soul. In 1999, Ramsau hosted the Nordic World Ski Championship. Alpine skiing is possible
all year round on the Dachsteingletscher (Dachstein glacier) – a popular skiing destination. For more information please go to: www.ramsau.com
- Language: The official language in Austria is German.
- Weather: Austria is located within a temperate climatic zone. During the month of March Schladming, Rohrmoos and Ramsau still features a cool climate with mild daytime temperatures(roughly -5 up to 15 degrees Celsius/ 23 up to 59 degrees Fahrenheit). Whereas Grazmight already have spring temperatures (between 5 and 15 degrees Celsius/ 41 and59 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Time Zone: During March 14th–25th, 2017 Austria has winter time and therefore is one hour behind UTC.
- Electrical information: Voltage: 220 V | Frequency: 50 Hz | Electric outlets: Type F, this outlets also works with Type C and E plugs.
Visitors of the Special Olympics World Winter Games do not require a credential or ticket to visit sport competitions, award ceremonies and the Special Olympics Town and Festival. These events are FREE.
The following persons require credentials in order to access certain areas:
- Blue Card: Athletes, delegations, coaches, sport volunteers
- Red Card: GOC, Operations Team
- White Card: Media representatives, Honored Guests, Family Program participants.
There will be specific access permits depending on the function or area (marked by abbreviations). Signposts at the sports venues will indicate whether access is permitted or not.
Currency & Payment Options
Austria is a member of the EuropeanUnion and the local currency is Euro.
1 Euro = 1,064 US Dollar(13.2.2022)
Cash is a common payment option in Austria. The following bills and coins are being used:
>> Bills come in 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 Euros.
>> Coins come in 1 and 2 Euro coins as well as 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 Cent coins. 1 Euro = 100 Cent
It is possible to withdraw money 24/7 at all official banks. There are also cash machines / ATMs at or near all sports venues. Accepted are local and foreign debit cards (Maestro) and the common credit cards with pincode. At some cash machines / ATMs fees could apply. These fees vary from bank to bank.
Credit Cards are accepted in the majority of hotels, restaurants, stores, taxis and gas stations. At many places you’ll find signs with the accepted cards at the front door. It is important to mention, that not all taxis accept credit cards. The most common credit cards are: Mastercard and VISA Card.
Information desks (Info-Points) will be available at all sport venues to provide you with everything you need to know about the World Winter Games (e.g. visitor’s folder, tourist information ...)
- Graz: Messe Graz (5 information desks), Eisstadion, Main Square
- Schladming: Wetzlarplatz, Congress Schladming, Rohrmoos (Slope 32 & Slope Schwaigerlift)
- Ramsau: "Veranstaltungszentrum" (WM Stadion)
- Opening times at the venues: 30 minutes before competition commences until the end of each competition. GRAZ Main Square & Wetzlarplatz, Schladming: during the day.
- Lost & Found: If you have lost or found anything, please report it to the information desk at that particular venue. (e.g. the information desk in Hall A at Messe Graz)
- Guided city and museum tours in Graz: They can be booked at the special information booth in Hall A, Entrance Fröhlichgasse.
- Web: www.austria2017.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/austria2017
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/sowwg2017
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/austria2017
- Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/sowwg2017/albums
- Snapshotboard: https://austria2017.snapshotboard.com
- APP: “Austria 2017” – (for free)
We are happy to welcome journalists from all over the world to the Special Olympics World Winter Games. Information for Media representatives
We have a wide range of products you will love to take home with you as keepsakes from the Games, such as Lara and Luis as cuddly toys, small gifts, shirts and sweatshirts in “Austria 2017” style, and lots more.
You will find our merchandising corners directly next to or near the information desks in Graz, Schladming and Ramsau am Dachstein.
- > Stadthalle Foyer, Graz
- > Messe Graz, Hall A Foyer
- > Eisstadion Graz (entrance area)
- > Graz, Main Square
- > Schladming Congress
- > Wetzlarplatz, Schladming
- > VAZ Ramsau
Also, you are welcome to visit our online shop: www.austria2017-shop.org
Opening & Closing Ceremony
Tickets for Opening & Closing Ceremonies are available on: www.oeticket.com
The Opening Ceremony of the SOWWG Austria 2017 will be held at "Planai Stadion" Schladming and the Closing Ceremony at the "Merkur Arena" Graz. Both outdoor venues. Please notice, that the Opening and Closing Ceremony will take place outside, so you need to be dressed accordingly. For the opening and closing ceremony large bags or backpacks are prohibited - security checks will be taking place!
There are no reserved parking lots at the sport and event venues for visitors, family members and volunteers.
You are requested to use the following public car parks (Please note that there is a charge for parking. First come, first served.):
- Graz Messe à Street „Fröhlichgasse“
- Graz Eishalle à parking garage
- Rohrmoos à at the valley station of the ”Hochwurzenbahn”
- Ramsau à marked parking areas
Access to the sport venues and parking on the premises solely for persons with a valid access permit and/or parking permit issued by the organizer/host.
Have a look at our timetable - HERE
- Graz: +43 (0)316 - 8075 - 0 | email@example.com
- Schladming: +43 (0)3687 - 22 777 15 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ramsau am Dachstein: +43 (0)3687 - 818 338 - 17 | email@example.com
Transport / Shuttle service
You are requested to use public transport services if possible:
- Bus (esp. Graz – Schladming): www.flixbus.at
- Schladming – Planaibus: www.planaibus.at
- Ramsauer Verkehrsbetriebe: www.rvb.at
- Bahn (insbes. Graz – Schladming): www.oebb.at
- Stadtgebiet Graz: www.holding-graz.at/linien
- Autovermietung: www.europcar.at
- When: Sunday 19th March to Thursday 23rd March 2017
- Prices: € 25,– for a return ticket.
- Please note: Please book your tickets 48 hours in advance at www.oeticket.com! (No refund possible.)
Shuttlebus to Opening & CLosing Ceremony:
The ORF is the host broadcaster of the World Winter Games, the international broadcaster is ESPN. HERE you find the program of the ORF, HERE you find the program of ESPN.
You will find all information about the venues - HERE